Fast Facts & FAQ
|Date of founding of Hawthorne Valley||February 11, 1971|
|Date of first early childhood class||September 1973|
|Date of first elementary grade||September 1973|
|Date of first completed 8th grade||1978|
|Date of first 9th grade||September 1980|
|Date of first graduating 12th grade||1983|
|Memberships, Accreditations, and Charter||
Association of Waldorf Schools in North America (AWSNA), full member
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS), accredited member
New York State Board of Regents, under whose jurisdiction we awards diplomas
General Questions (2)
Rudolf Steiner characterized Anthroposophy as a path of knowledge that leads the spirit in the human being to the spirit in the world. He described how, by developing our human potential, we gradually become able to recognize the creative laws that are at work in living nature and in human and social life. In this way, Anthroposophy complements natural science and leads to insight into such profound and challenging issues as the nature of sentience, soul, the human spirit, and organic life. Anthroposophy fosters individual development and freedom and also cultivates social responsibility and respect for others.
Born in Austria, Rudolf Steiner (1861-1925) was an international figure of his day who forged new directions for cultural and spiritual life. He was a scientist, educator, artist, and thinker of extraordinary dimension. His answers to the questions and concerns of his students led to movements of renewal in education, medicine, science, agriculture, religion, the arts, and human consciousness. His many books and extensive lecture courses laid the basis for a new understanding of the human being, eventually called spiritual science or "Anthroposophy" (from the Greek Anthropos, "man" and Sophia," wisdom").
The Annual Fund (9)
The Annual Fund is a yearly effort to raise unrestricted funds to help bridge the gap between tuition income and total operating expenses. It is administered by the Development Committee and is accomplished by a hard-working group of volunteers. Because HVS is a not-for-profit organization, your gifts are 100% tax deductible.
Approximately 73% of the budget funds people - salaries and benefits for faculty and staff. The remainder supports curricular programs, and equipment, utilities, insurance, and maintenance costs.
No. Tuition income at HVS covers 92% of the annual expenses. This means that the remaining 8% must be made up from other sources.
HVS strives to keep tuition increases modest in our ongoing effort to make Waldorf education available to as diverse a group of students as possible.
While all members of the extended community are asked to participate in the Annual Fund, HVS also engages in other fundraising activities. We raise capital gifts to meet facility needs. We also solicit funds for various restricted purposes such as the school endowment, and a variety of other scholarship funds. We also invite parents, alumni, grandparents, and friends to participate in the Yuletide Fair and the Spring Benefit, as well as other events. These events support the operating budget.
Last year, hundreds of people, including parents, alumni, alumni parents, grandparents, friends, board members, faculty, and staff, and business and foundation donors who believe in the mission of HVS and support our ideals contributed to the Annual Fund.
Typically, corporations contribute to independent schools by matching their employees’ gifts. As HVS is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation under Hawthorne Valley Association, you may be able to double or triple your gift by submitting the appropriate matching gift form (available from your employer) along with your contribution. The number of foundations supporting annual giving is small, and generally they contribute only to restricted funds for specific projects. More importantly, the likelihood of foundation support for HVS is strengthened by evidence of broad participation by our current constituents – especially parents – in the Annual Fund. This is another reason why every gift matters.
Very Important. Without donation income and the positive support generated by volunteers and donors, we would be forced to make difficult decisions regarding reductions in programs and activities.