Hawthorne Valley Waldorf School serves Nursery through Grade 12. Families wishing to attend should first apply to the appropriate grade or program. We have a “needs blind” application process. Families wishing to apply for an adjusted tuition may do so following acceptance to the school. For more information about this process please contact the Admissions Office.
To meet the needs of interested families, we offer rolling admissions, accepting applications throughout the year. Families applying to full classes will be put on a waitlist until a place becomes available. Below please find the standard admissions procedures and forms for applying to Hawthorne Valley Waldorf School.
Day Students, All Grades
- Parents and student(s) complete application form(s) and submit it/them with a $55 application fee for each student. High school applicants must also submit three letters of recommendation: one from an English or language arts teacher, one from a math teacher, and one from a school advisor or administrator.
- Parents fill out and sign the Release of Records form and send it to their child’s current school as soon as possible. Acceptances cannot be finalized until school records are received. No application will be considered until any Individual Education Plan (IEP), special needs assessments, or psychological evaluations previously performed have been submitted.
- Faculty and Director of Admissions review application forms, school records, and, as needed, recommendations.
- Upon satisfactory review of all submitted materials, parents will be contaced and arrangements made for an interview and two-day classroom visit by the student. During the visit, the student may be given a math and english assessment. Also, parents will have an interview with one or more faculty members. Early Childhood applicants will be contacted by a faculty representative and scheduled for an on-campus interview and observation.
- Faculty and Director of Admissions review applicant’s classroom visit and all materials submitted and make an admissions decision. The family is then contacted by the Director of Admissions.
- Once a student is accepted for admission, a financial contract is drawn up and signed by the parents and a school representative. Families wishing to apply for Tuition Adjustment may do so upon acceptance. There is a six-week probationary period for all students. During this period, either the school or the family can terminate the contract and the financial obligation of the family is prorated according to the number of days attended. After six weeks, the parents become responsible for the full contractual amount according to the agreed upon payment schedule.
Our Home-based boarding program is structured to provide adolescents with the support and independence that they need to develop into aware, confident, capable adults. Wonderful boarding families open their homes and hearts to students who wish to continue their Waldorf journey at HVS or those who wish to begin their journey with our high school and join us from anywhere in the world.
For more information about boarding, please contact the Admissions Office.
Students who currently attend a Waldorf high school in another country may send a letter of intention and request an opportunity for exchange with a student from Hawthorne Valley. These are true exchanges with the students and families partnering in their exchange experience.
For more information about foreign exchange, please contact the Admissions Office.